The face of poverty
Root Causes of Poverty Locally
- Lack of education, job skills, and knowledge to acquire jobs and remain employed.
- Lack of assets, particularly small capital, to generate employment and income.
- Lack of economic opportunities and access to capital, social services such as education, health care, and affordable housing.
- Prolonged economic slowdown, loss of businesses and industries, or economic stagnation that results in job loss and underemployment.
- Creation of dependency through safety nets to meet basic needs –“giving people fish without teaching them how to fish” that would result in self-reliance and self-sufficiency.
- The nexus of large families/ unemployment/underemployment, and lack of assets that results in a vicious circle of poverty or generational poverty.
- Lack of support for children and women at the household level in education, good nutrition, and health care.
- Loss of dignity and self-respect due to being caught in a poverty trap that undermines confidence, creates indifference, and generates fatalism.
- Failure of development initiatives to focus on root causes of poverty replication, sustainability, and impact on the quality of life.
- Failure to involve the poor in defining priorities and in finding solutions.
Poverty Analysis  – World BankSouth Carolina
U.S. Census Bureau Statistics on South Carolina 
News Stories about Poverty
March 21, 2009: A sign of hard times  Island Packet
March 9, 2009: SC unemployment rate hits 10% in January  – Forbes.com
December 11, 2008: SC unemployment expected to hit 14% by spring 2009  – Associated Press
November 29, 2008: As the economy falls, requests to food banks soar.  – Island Packet
November 16, 2008: Rate of hunger among children rose 50% in 2007  – Island Packet
November 15, 2008: SC layoffs at state agencies mean less support for the poor and disabled  – Beaufort Gazette
November 12, 2008: 12% of SC children have no health insurance  – Island Packet
November 10, 2008: History island church finds joy, hope in Obama presidency  – Island Packet
November 3, 2008: State budget ax falls on special needs home  – Island Packet
September 19, 2008: Community Organizers help folks overcome poverty/powerlessness  – Island Packet
July 1, 2008: Help native islanders preserve neighborhoods  – Island Packet, editorial
June 19, 2008: Hard times in the Lowcountry … – Island Packet