Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
NOC’s Protocol for Safety and Good Health
Following South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster announcement of March 15, 2020, to close all schools in the state effective, Monday, March 16, through March 31, 2020, we have closed NOC centers at all locations in Beaufort County until March 31, 2020. We told the field staff that we will monitor the situation closely for further instructions. All the teachers, volunteers, and staff have been informed of NOC’s decision. The field staff used WhatsApp to inform children and families about NOC’s decision to close.
- The Program Managers (PMs) and Neighborhood Liaisons (NLs)spent Monday, March 16, as regular day at their respective centers in the event that any children or parents came to the center; They took this opportunity also to deep clean and disinfect the center and have it ready for opening.
- The NOC Office will be closed during this period, March 17 to March 31, 2020. Every effort will be made to ensure that all business matters are addressed and completed as required.
- NOC is communicating with the local schools to ensure that the children and families receive pertinent information relating to learning materials and food (breakfast and lunch) distribution schedule and locations. Since the parents of these children are working, it will be difficult for these families to receive materials and food. Many of these children do not access to computers and internet connections; therefore, eLearning activities will not work for these children. Many parents are also not equipped to help these children with their homework and building learning skills in math, reading, and language arts.
- We feel for the children and parents as they deal with this difficult situation. The next two weeks will be trying for many people, including the people we serve. I hope that this unprecedented calamity will be short-lived. Unfortunately, the schools will most likely not open until the end of April; we may also lose the remaining period of this academic year, 2019-2020.
- For additional information please visit https://bit.ly/3aGWvHs for information from the CDC and DHEC. You can also visit the Beaufort County School District website: www. https://www.beaufortschools.net/. You can also listen to Governor McMaster’s recent press conferences at https://scemd.org/.
Additional helpful sites:
Beaufort County Alliance for Human Services: https://www.beaufortcountysc.gov/topics/coronavirus/index.html.
Beaufort Memorial Hospital:
South Carolina Department of Health
Beaufort County School District Food Distribution Schedule